Thursday, August 30, 2007

Beautiful Nerds


Although most women wouldn't be caught dead wearing glasses that channel Steve Erkel, I find there to be something very provocative about the juxtaposition between an attractive woman and an object that is traditionally reared to be unattractive, quite simply "nerdy." I wear contact lenses every single day and have one pair of functional glasses that I use around my apartment. However, I came across two images that have made me reconsider my current aesthetic of saving the glasses for home. One is this photo of Marilyn Monroe (perhaps my favorite one of the icon), the ultimate symbol of classic glamor and femininity. She is pictured donning a fitted sweater, showcasing her curves, perfect makeup job and impeccable coiffure with a pair of cat-eye shaped reading glasses. She is a beautiful nerd.

The other is a photo of Dita Von Teese, sporting a Jessica Rabbit-style fire engine red evening gown, paired with the thickest, "nerdiest" pair of glasses one could imagine. Fashion irony at its finest!

Taking a cue from my style idols, I found a pair of thick, awkward black glasses with plastic lenses online and decided to hit the streets of Gotham today. With thick, dramatic frames you've got to be extra careful about every detail in your clothing, makeup and hairstyle choice. I paired the frames with a black fitted turtle neck dress with a thick belt that cinched the waist. A tousled up do, false eyelashes and three-inch strappy sandals completed the "beautiful nerd" look. Many were confused, but many were fascinated and "got it." Security at the Hearst building was extra nice and accommodating, making sure I knew exactly where I was going. "Have a wonderful day, Miss De Ponte!" exclaimed several security guards after our brief encounters. "I think you're the only smart one left in New York City," shouted a random man. What does that mean?! Was he being sarcastic or just trying to be funny? I haven't a clue. How do you all feel about sporting chunky black glasses? Check out these photos and let me know what you think of the "beautiful nerd" look!






2 comments:

Boris said...

I love your new glasses!

Unknown said...

hey hun, its ali! just wanted to say hi and find out how the interview went! i'm sure you did fabulous. Also, I wanted to let you know that I've been using that Kiehl's face mask and it is WONDERFUL. I've also been using the blotting papers more regularly and I've already noticed a definite improvement in my complexion. Thanks so much for all your help!